Friday, July 29, 2011

The POD is packed!

             I say again, the POD is packed (and probably picked up by now).  I can’t tell you how excited I am to finally be packed for the move.  Please keep in mind that I have been packing since May due to needing to be out of both my classroom and townhouse by the end of June.  Being in a constant state of packing is tough, but I know it will all be worth it once we get there.  Now for a little impromptu advice about packing, PODs and moving in general…

            Get rid of EVERYTHING!  Haha you say, but seriously though, the more you can give up/donate/sell before hand the better off you are going to be.  Throughout this long process I have been trying and trying to downsize.  I have gone from wanting to just leave it all behind to wanting to save things that probably didn’t need to come because I might need them when we get to our new home (which we still don’t have picked out yet).  However, now that I have been packed for awhile, I can honestly say that there are some things sitting in our POD that I intend to give up pretty immediately once we get there. So if you can stand to part with it, do! 

            Our POD is a 16ft leviathan that basically is just the type of container that goes on the back of a truck.  Two things that you definitely need for packing a POD is good spatial awareness and a propensity for Tetris and patience, ok three.  PODs are sectioned off into four areas via four by fours and eye hooks which you can use to create webbed “walls” with rope.  This is where my scouting and canoeing background comes in handy as Joe has no idea as to what to do about knots (love you, honey!).  Packing and repacking each section as boxes became available was tedious, but well worth the piece of mind.  Obviously there is no guarantee that our possessions will make it to the other side of the country safe and sound, but I feel pretty good about the chances.  What is most shocking to me is that we absolutely filled that POD, with very little furniture, mostly just boxes.  Now I know that we are combining two houses and a classroom into that thing, but seriously?! Full?!  Yes, yes it is.  This just makes me want to get rid of things all the more when we get to Seattle, because I really don’t want to start Joe and I’s new home together with a ton of junk.  ::sigh::

Now that the POD is packed, it’s really hitting me how little time we have left here.  We will be heading out early Sunday morning to begin our road trip.  Joe and I have been trying to spend as much time as possible with friends and family and have really been enjoying the social time. J  Thanks to everyone who has made an effort to come to see us or have us come to see them this week!  We really do feel incredibly loved and fortunate to have so many wonderful people in our lives.  We will be back in the area for Christmas without a doubt and we may be back this fall for a weekend of RenFair!  We will keep you posted on those developments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment