Monday, July 18, 2011

2 weeks to go...



            There’s only 2 weeks to go before we pack up the car (and the dog) and head off West!  I’m so excited/nervous/excited/stressed/excited/sad/excited that I can hardly contain myself!  The POD will be here on Friday, so we can finally pack up all the boxes that have been sitting at Joe’s and feel like we’re actually getting things done. 

Mostly I’ve been spending this time trying to luxuriate in the feeling of being here.  Taking my time in the morning lounging on my parent’s sofa with a cup of coffee, one of Mom’s magazines and my parent’s jack russells while I day dream about decorating our new place; having dinner with my parents and grandmother or lunch with friends in the afternoons; going out the barn to volunteer my time with the horses and the kids I’ve been working with for the past year.  I’ve also been trying to schedule as much time with friends as possible, so if I haven’t gotten a chance to see one of you yet, please give me a call so we can try and spend some time together!  And of course, I’ve been helping Joe pack and trying to get the last of my own things packed up and ready to go.  I still can’t believe how much stuff I’ve accumulated over the years!  There have definitely been times when I just want to leave it all behind and start completely from scratch, but there are too many things I just can’t bear to leave.  Oh well.

            The yard sale last Saturday was a great success.  We got most of our traffic from 7:30 AM to 10:30 AM.  Word to the wise, there is no reason to have a yard sale past noon.  No one comes, so you might as well just have it again the next morning if you really need to sell stuff.  Also, the detailed Craig’s list post I did about the yard sale really, really helped.  We probably could have forgone the flimsy garage sale signs I bought at Walmart and still would have been ok.  We kept putting things out and putting things out all morning and there were still things we forgot to put out.  When it was all over I looked at all the things that hadn’t sold and felt like we could still do a yard sale out of it!  Most of the leftovers were packed up for Purple Heart to come pick up and a few things were brought back into the house to be packed up (only a few!).  We made a nice chunk of change to go towards furnishing our new home.  Speaking of which..

            No, we do not have a house yet.  We are hoping to get a property near one of our friends that has the most AMAZING view ever, but the realtor won’t call us back.  At this point we have decided to save our money and head out with a final destination of a dog friendly hotel as opposed to our own place.  Since POD gives us a free month of storage, we’ll have plenty of time to peruse the housing market instead of getting stuck with something sight unseen, which might have hidden issues. 

            On a new topic, the BBQ that we had Saturday night was fantastic!  Thank you to everyone who was able to come by.  Joe and I feel incredibly fortunate and loved by our many, many friends!  We will miss all of you and have a special pace in our hearts and open space on our futon for everyone.  Come and visit us as soon as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment